"The Wicket" on Elliotts Hill is believed to date from the late 17 th century and was originally built as a farmhouse, standing in its own grounds and surrounded by farm buildings and farm workers’ cottages, with the wicket (or archway) leading to the farmyard.

In Victorian times, it became the village shoemaker’s shop. More recently, it was a workshop for making soft furnishings.

Listed as a house of historical and architectural interest, its original features include 1125 pigeon holes below the eaves, the pigeons being bred for food.