This fine bridge was built in the 1890's for the former Yealmpton-Millbay, Plymouth, GWR line, which opened on 15th January 1898.
Steer Point Halt allowed passenger connection with the ferry service to Newton Ferrers.
Being near the brickworks, bricks were carried from here together with farm goods, some coal for local houses and oysters from the estuary beds. The line closed to passengers in 1930 'but was reopened during the 1939-45 war, only to close again for passengers in October 1947. The rails were taken up in 1962.