This single lane access from Red Lion Hill, leading into the middle of the village, was once the main street from Plympton and Yealmpton to the village until early in the 18 th century a new road from Yealmpton and Plympton was built located south of the cottages in Old Road.

The original thoroughfare was bordered by a number of cottages, some of which originated from the 13 th century. These were left in the Will of John Blakemyll, who died in 1483, to the Brixton Feoffee Lands Estate, the income from which with other lands owned would be applied by the charity for the reparation of the nearby church and to provide relief for the poor and needy folk of Brixton.

Over the centuries, the cottages have been remodelled and some rebuilt, mostly using the "original" foundations.