|The following compiled from the Copeland Manuscripts; photograph by Samantha Tucker:|
According to the Manuscripts referred to in "Lesser Known Houses of Devon", in 1908 the following was observed:
"An old and long farmhouse, now disused as such, of stone rubble on rock, with a stuccoed front facing W, where at the centre, is a chimney breast, hipped at the top, and supporting a large and lofty stuccoed stack. From the wallhead further N is a brick stack on a rect. stone base. On the S gable-end is a short stack; and there is a brick one on the wallhead at the SE.
Rather small and varied wooden-framed windows, four late C18 ones at the rear and those to the ground-floor largely modernised. The rear of the house is not stuccoed; old grouted slated roof.
The house has apparently been extended towards the S; at the E is a flight of external stone steps. At this end is a ground-floor room with crude chamfered ceiling-beams and modern joists; the room has been divided at the E end; a wall recess; and traces of two blocked windows.
There are two wooden staircases, the second slightly curved at the top; and some plain roof-timber springers are exposed. The main staircase is straight, with very widely spaced turned balusters. Above the plain rear doorway is a prentice on old timbers. Plain rect. front doorway in a plain gabled stuccoed single-stage porch, with a plain rect. outer doorway, or opening.
The windows are broadly splayed internally in the older part of the house, with seats; fireplaces modern or reduced, including that in the main room. The last has white-washed ceiling-beams, as in the adjoining room to the N; a stone floor; and a chamfered white-washed wooden wallplate above the fireplace. The dairy is in a penthouse at the rear, N of the doorway, and appears to be coeval with the older parts."
Chittleburn Farm remains, Brixton